søndag den 15. november 2009

Longing to know Him better...

There is an inner growing conviction, in my heart, that all questions, needs and longings will be met abundantly, if we could spend our lives focusing on God, and get to know Him better. Last Wednesday, in our Bible-study here in Antakya, we started to read through Ephesians.

Paul is writing: “I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Sprit of wisdom and revelation, so you may know him better.” 1:17

If it’s all about getting to know God better, we should spend rest of our lives, concentrating on that. My wife keeps telling me, that I sometimes forget everything around me when I am doing something I enjoy. I hope so much that this weakness could be changed into a constructive “enjoying seeking Him first and forget everything around me.”

But it is even better. We are not alone. God has brought us together from different nations and cultures to be His Church, His Family and His Children together, and God seems to enjoy this so much, that he “through the church, wants the manifold wisdom of God to be made known.”

If we, as His Church, agree on “seeking Him together”, focusing on Him and put Him first, He will make His manifold wisdom known. He will give us “all these things as well.” Matt. 6:33

Why are we here? Often, we as churches are very busy with a lot of works, programs and plans, but we must first of all understand, that we are here to seek Him and know Him better.

Church is all about Him. Paul says: “And God placed all things under His feet, and appointed Him [Jesus Christ] to be head over everything for the Church which is His body, the fullness of Him, who fills everything in every way.” 1:22-23

If Church is all about Jesus Christ, and if the Bible tells us, that Christ is the head of the (Church) body, then life is all about seeking Him. Our “eyes of our hearts” may be fresh enlightened every day. 1:18

We want to be a blessed people, right? Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. How I long for Him.

Finally: I love the way C.S. Lewis explains his longing for God: “Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for desires exists. A baby feels hunger: well, there is such a thing as food. A duckling wants to swim: well, there is such a thing as water. Men feel sexual desire: well, there is such a thing as sex. If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.

God bless your Sunday.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Amen! looking forward to follow this great blog!

    SvarSlet
  2. I agree Josef, please keep on sharing your heart and thoughts here together with us. blessings
    claus

    SvarSlet